When did the save and blown save become official Major League Baseball statistics?
Trivia Question Answer
The save became an official Major League Baseball statistic in 1969. A save is earned by a pitcher who:
- Finishes the game won by his team
- Does not receive the win
- And one of the following:
- Enters the game with a lead of 3 runs or less and pitches at least one inning
- Enters the game with the tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck
- Pitches effectively for at least 3 innings
The blown save became official in 1998.